When you want to set up a Wi-Fi network right in your office or home, there might be times you could be confused about all the equipment and gear you might need. But worry not, we are here to help!
Typically, all you need is a router and a modem to create a Wi-Fi network; however, this depends entirely on the number of devices you intend to connect simultaneously for a seamless browsing experience.
The best way to get Wi-Fi without a modem is by purchasing a Wi-Fi router. This router enables you to seamlessly share files/data with the connected devices. In this article, we will show you how to get Wi-Fi without a modem and other associated queries, so you can have all the information you need to set up a Wi-Fi connection.
So without any further ado, let’s get into it.
Does a Router Work Without a Modem?
Yes, a router can work without a modem to give you Wi-Fi access; however, you must understand the differences between these two devices and their function so that you can make a well-informed decision.
To put it simply, a modulator-demodulator, commonly known as a modem, is used to give you access to the internet service. On the other hand, a router allows you to enjoy the facilities of a Wi-Fi network.
Moreover, the internet service provider allocates every modem with a specific IP address that enables your device(s) to connect to the internet. In addition, the router acts as a device that communicates wirelessly with the modem and other routers in the network.
So, if you want a seamless internet browsing experience, then you just get a modem as it will help you access the internet service provider (ISP). But if all you want is a Wi-Fi connection, then a router is sufficient to support data exchange with different devices, like printers.
How to Get Wi-Fi Without a Modem
To get an excellent Wi-Fi connection at your home or office, you will need to set up a router, which you can do by following these steps:
- To start, you need to get the SSID or the network name and the passkey to access the device. You can even manually reset the passwords of your router.
- Turn on your router by plugging it into the power supply, or you can switch on the device’s power button if it doesn’t activate automatically.
- If you are a Windows user, then you go right ahead and select the Wi-Fi icon present at the bottom of the taskbar to connect to the router. Similarly, if you are familiar with Apple devices, you can simply scroll around on the Mac menu to access all the available Wi-Fi networks for ultimate streaming.
- Moreover, if your computer incorporates an ethernet port, then you can use an ethernet cable to connect the device directly to the router.
- You can connect your other accessory or devices like a printer or scanner to the router to gain Wi-Fi access.
- Now, with the primary setup in place, you can move on to the next step by configuring your router’s settings—all you need is to search on your web browser to spot your default gateway IP address. Further, copy this address and paste it into the URL field to complete the configuration process.
- Thereafter, it is recommended to add a robust layer of security to your router by entering a unique password. Also, you can get your hands on the primary passkey of the device from the manual or the bottom of the router. This is helpful in times when you can’t recall your password or are in a hurry.
- Lastly, you can access the admin console via your browser to make any significant changes to your network settings. It is recommended to have a customized passkey and SSID to ensure your network is secure and protected from malicious activities.
Which Router is Best to Get Connected to the Wi-Fi?
Undoubtedly, there are a plethora of Wi-Fi routers available in the market for you to select from, but you should get the one that fits all your needs. Ideally, you should get a router integrated with the latest Wi-Fi generation that delivers excellent speed and an extensive coverage range.
All of these features are must-haves in your ideal Wi-Fi router to provide you with high functionality and accessibility to share files, data, and more in a LAN network. Some of the best Wi-Fi routers are:
|Product||Dimensions||Rating||Check them out here|
|Netgear Nighthawk Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6E Router||13.11 x 10.04 x 5.67 inches||4.1||Link|
|Asus RT-AX88U AX6000 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router||9.84 x 4.96 x 15.16 inches||3.9||Link|
|TP-Link Archer AX50 (AX3000) Wi-Fi 6 Router||12.99 x 2.95 x 9.65 inches||4.4||Link|
Can you Access the Internet With Just a Router?
No, you cannot access the internet with just a router. To access the internet, you must connect the router to devices like a modem that can take you to the internet services. Moreover, there are various modem-router products available in the market, basically two-in-one products that can serve you well if you want an internet connection.
Internet Service Providers provide you with the access to surf the internet on your device; it helps you use the internet by allocating a specific IP address for you. For seamless access to the internet, all you need to do is enter the particular address on your device.
How to Access Wi-Fi Without a Router?
You can access Wi-Fi without an ISP or a router; however, this is not ideal as it is an expensive alternative. You can access it without a router using the following:
- Mobile hotspot
- Public Wi-Fi
- Tether your smartphone
- Use a Wi-Fi USB dongle
Do you Need Both a Router and a Modem?
If you are looking to access the internet or want to be connected to an extensive network of devices, then it is better to go for both a router and a modem.
Furthermore, if you are planning to connect multiple devices like smartphones, laptops, computers, and more all in one network, then you should consider going for a modem as well as a router.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I Get Internet With Just a Router?
No, you cannot directly connect to the internet with just a router. Your router must be connected to a modem that can send your traffic to the internet to gain access to it. To make this happen, you can even use a router with a built-in modem.
2. Can you Have Wi-Fi Without a Modem?
Yes, you can have Wi-Fi without a modem by installing a router in your home or office. A router can connect your devices to a wireless network that allows you to share data, files, stream movies, etc.
3. Does a Router Have a Built-In Modem?
Yes, some routers might be integrated with a modem. You can spot these router-modem devices by looking for ethernet ports, visible antennas, etc. These two devices vary from each other, but you need both of them when trying to access the internet.
All in all, you can get Wi-Fi with a router. This limits the coverage area and the number of devices you can connect to, but it’s a good option when looking to connect only one or two devices.
All you have to do to get Wi-Fi is to set up the router, and then you are good to go. However, you need a modem to access the internet for various devices. We hope this blog answered all your questions and was insightful for you to know all about Wi-Fi and more.